Sunday, April 13, 2008

“Will There Be a Day When I‘m Autonomous?”


I've always had this incredible urge to write on everything. Sometimes I can't resist this urge and I do. Pencils, markers, brushes, acrylic, oil and aerosol paint have all been my tools to wage war on bland surfaces. Notebooks, trains, schools, garages, mailboxes and clothes have all fallen victim to my victimless crime. Illegal or not, I frequently daydream while staring at buildings and institutions and raise possibilities of potential art projects.

Why this obsession with forcefully altering my particular environment started, I know not. I do know that since I was a young child, artistic expression has been a main concern of mine, regardless of any perceived risk. There's nothing that gives me more hope in mankind than when I stumble upon a previously unknown piece of art. Whether that art be in a museum, a home, or in a back alley, the drug like feeling of adrenaline that consumes me is exhilarating.

Especially exciting to me is art with a message behind it, social or political. Something that emotionally or intellectually leave you no choice, but to evaluate what is being said. Considering or disregarding is then up to you.

I am as equally passionate about sponsored art, although in a negative way. Art loses its meaning and bite when a logo is attached to it. Even the most fantastic piece is ruined when a company tries to co-opt that creativity. This is a trend that shows no sign of stopping.

I have a suspicion that sometime in the future I may have to make a decision concerning sponsored art. In this highly product driven culture, often the only refuge for an artist from poverty is "selling out". Can I maintain my ideals if and when this situation arises?

It has taken years for me to realize that for me to be generally satisfied with life I need to have either political activism or artistic expression occurring. Merging the two would be an ideal occupation for me, and indeed, the major point of attending college is to accomplish this.

If my future does not include a life that allows hours of uninterrupted painting, drawing and writing, I will be disappointed, to say the least. My creativity is incompatible with a nine-to-five lifestyle and it has often come down to creating or working. I want to avoid this compromise of the soul for the needs of survival. Time will tell if this is a realistic goal.

Until then I will look at art not as a luxury, hobby or habit, but the very essence of my life and necessary for sanity. I will continue to excavate my imagination for untapped reserves until my motivation evaporates. Finally, I will carry on the tradition of looking at life itself as semi-absurd and attempt to satirize and subvert it through every available medium.

No comments: